Monday, November 16, 2009

Careful What You Wish For!

Ever dreamed that you place of work would burn down, and you wouldn't have to go in? Well, carefull now! Our Melbourne office had a fire, ironically started by the water cooler, in the early hours of Wednesday morning, and is now unworkable.

I went in on Friday afternoon, on what was to be my last day as a Melbourne Consultant. Knowing that noone was there on our floor, I popped up to the vacant floor above, where a couple of our staff have set up make shift assessment rooms, and have continued to see appointments, business as usual.

Then I went downstairs, to get an idea of the damage, and to also collect my things from the desk that is no longer mine. As soon as the elevator doors opened, the pungent stink of burnt office hits you in the face. Our glass front door has been replaced with a makeshift bit of wood, evidence of the firefighters efforts.

As you walk past the singed reception area, and into the water soaked office, the noise of the blowers trying to dry things out was the only life around. An eerie feeling of an abandoned office in the middle of things.

Luckily, the fire was in the middle of the night, and not when anyone of us were there. Given the location of the exploding water cooler, being right next to our exit, it could have been a very hairy exercise trying to get out!

But now, while repairs are being sorted out, the whole office is working from home. And working from home is great, even a novelty, for a day, maybe 2. But for a week....I would be going stir crazy out on my own! Even washing the dishes looks good when you have work to do, and hey, there is always the midday movie! I would be S.T.Ruggling, just quitely! I need to be around other people! I don't think this is going to be a very productive month!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...